Tuesday, June 27, 2023

TENPAM celebration 2

 The following is a bunch of comics from "late 2004 probably" as my notes indicate. My mom had this gorgeous pack of skinny markers and I was allowed to draw with them after we watched a movie (the tv was in the same room as the markers, not in the living room with my general art supplies).

We had gotten a kid's pottery wheel. I thought it was so cool. In this comic, the cat gets spun around on it, but ultimately takes the clay to use on its own little cat-sized pottery wheel.
 

A flower cleans up her act but all she gets is transplanted. If you overwater plants, they go "blot."


Ah yes, "Murpup," a totally normal name for a dog. Our Christmas tree was a norfolk pine and the branches were pokey.

My standard comic setup was a grid of nine, but sometimes I did twelve. Or, if I needed more space, I'd cut one of the original panels into smaller boxes. I loved ice skating and drew it a lot.

Everything they do on tv happens for real. It's not special effects they really just hire a mountain lion to bite you for tv. So I thought, I guess. This poor guys gets dumped in a river, slammed into a cactus, embarrassed by his heart underwear, kicked by his horse, and bit by a mountain lion creature, and calls for his mommy. The life of an actor is tough.

This one doesn't really make sense but you can see I'm already fooling around with meta humor. She turns on her lightbulb to get an idea, the foot from a higher panel bonks her, and when she throws her head back to laugh she sees her past in the panels above. Not sure where the surfing on the usa came from.

My mom liked how dynamic the mom was calling "dinner" while leaning out through the window. The joke is that the girl is disappointed that she "only" made 8,929 jumps before having to stop.


When I finished my homework, I would dance around, singing, "I'm done with all my homework, cha! cha!" This girl stepped it up with silly glasses, and while my family expected it, this girl did it for her own amusement.

Ah, the old cyclical punchline. The cat will once again join the jump roper, until another sneeze inevitably tangles them up in a cloud of dust.

Don't trap butterflies? I think my attempted punchline was that the butterfly looked like it was on a hill of grass, but it turns out to be the baby's ice cream.

So we begin and end with a Christmas comic. I knew the tree had to be overpriced, but I didn't have a clear idea of what a Christmas tree actually cost. I overshot a little, but, after all, a good $9,688 is worth it.


No comments:

Post a Comment