Friday, June 30, 2023

TENPAM celebration 5

 

Whoops, I'm out of chronological order. Firmly in my Garfield era by 2005, I started Tuna and Squeak!
At the time I thought purple eyeshadow with green eyes was very pretty. I got it backwards on the title pic here. Tuna's cheek fluff is derivative of Garfield's mom, who I also thought was really pretty.

 
I would just add a hyphen when I accidentally left gaps in the middle of words. I can still imagine, very clearly, Chow saying, "Mouse plus carrot equals eaten carrot." Though that may be hard to discern. You can see the garfield-ness of that very first arm, but Chow is modeled after Snoopy's brother. 4-10-05.

I liked to draw Tuna pointing, but she only had three fingers, and someone told me her gesture was a little bit rude. So I had to go back and add in a fourth finger. 4-11-05.

Don't hide in a washing machine. 4-11-05.

I messed up the moose drawing the first attempt, but look at that fancy panel 3 cherry! Look at the nose and hooves sticking out! I didn't know what mousse was. 5-7-05.

I had a giant foam puzzle with a bunch of fish. It had a zebra-turkey-lion-fish or whatever they're called. I think they're pretty cool.


The headphones are copied from a Peanuts animated special. Woodstock listens to music in his house before Snoopy destroys the house with his nose. I also learned about tapioca from Peanuts. 5-8-05.

This may actually be incomprehensible. So they're both reading. Tuna flops down backwards and the wind blows all the pages of Squeak over on him. They both absentmindedly say something related to what they're reading, and startle each other. 6-7-05.

I hadn't yet learned about arranging speech bubbles from right to left. 7-10-05

A year later, I decide to make one more Tuna and Squeak comic in which they actually hike. So I did in fact draw him in a pair of his hiking shorts. Pink, green, and gray camo. 11-3-06.

No comments:

Post a Comment